The trading season is heating up and one name that keeps popping up in connection with the Brewers is Erik Bedard. The trade makes some sense. Manny Parra is pretty bad. Erik Bedard is pretty good. Erik Bedard is affordable and his contract expires after the season. (I think it would be funny if the Brewers traded for a starter with an expiring contract every year for the next 5 years. Bonus points if it was always with Cleveland.) I don't think it will take a LOT to get him and there is a clear connection between Jack Z and Doug Melvin to make this happens. Jack knows our system and what he'd be getting back better than any other team. It all seems like a good idea, but what about Erik? What does he think about all this?
I'm Erik Bedard.
How are you doing today?
I heard that you may have recently had a baby. Congratulations. I made you this card.
I think it would be nice to play for the Milwaukee Brewers and that I could be a big upgrade to your rotation.* Let me tell you a few things about myself to get you excited at the possibility.
- My name is actually Érik Bédard, but nobody knows how to type those funny looking e's.
- It's spelled like that because I am French Canadian, my first language is actually French. Once I realized I might become a professional baseball player I took English courses. Otherwise, I probably wouldn't have.
- My career K/9 is 8.7 and thus far this season my ERA+ is 174. This would immediately make me the best pitcher on the Brewers or "better than Bush and Looper combined".
- I've been on the DL at least once every year of my career.
- I am known around the media as "The Interview" because of my reluctance to talk to reporters.
- Because of my French ancestry, I drink wine much like you Milwaukeeans drink beer!
I am currently on the disabled list right now, but I should be back soon putting up excellent numbers.
This may last the rest of the season or it may last a short period of time before I return to the DL or am shut down for the season.
Trading for me is like buying a lottery ticket, who doesn't enjoy that?
Thank you for hearing me out.
I hope to be seeing you in Milwaukee soon.
*=if I don't get injured. Again.