As we head into spring training I have a few random things I'd like to get off my chest. Nothing that really requires an entire post, but some thoughts I wanted to get out there nonetheless. This is the worst time to follow baseball. That's all I really have to say about it because this guy sort of nailed it already. And since I have nothing else to write in this intro.. Here. We. Go.
- Am I supposed to be excited for pitchers and catchers reporting? I feel like I've been excited for that to happen before and then I was completely letdown by it. Then I can remember being excited for the first spring training game (even going so far as to listen to it on the radio), but being completely letdown by that exercise as well. "Now batting, the first baseman, Brad Nelson!" I'll keep track of what's going on and I might watch a couple games when I am completely bored and there is nothing on the DVR, but that's about it. I don't get excited til the games are real and the team shows up in Milwaukee.
- Speaking of the team showing up in Milwaukee, I am totally boycotting the two exhibition games against Detroit at Miller Park on the Friday and Saturday before Opening Day. Call me old fashion, but I like for Opening Day to be the first day I actually go to the park. I don't want to waste that feeling on a stupid exhibition with the stupid Tigers.
- I want to retire from fantasy baseball, but I don't think I have the guts to do it. It's like I have to. How else will I spend two to three hours a night? Why else would I own an iPhone?
- Surprised that nobody called me out on sticking up for Corey Hart when I said the Brewers were right to send Hardy down to the minor leagues thus costing him money. Hart has always been at least league average. Hardy last season was far below (OPS+ of 76(!)). Plus, he starred in this picture. Much easier to hate someone after that.
- Is this story about Braun being better at soccer supposed to make me like him more or hate him more? I have to go with hate more, soccer is lame. Also loved this quote:
"That offered the best opportunity, even though I think soccer was always my best sport," Braun said. "I was a forward on U.S. development teams and did pretty well, but for the future, in this country, it made more sense to focus on baseball.
Translation: MONEY. MONEY. MONEY.
- Speaking of Ryan Braun, I heard a rumor that his restaurant is dead. I walked by a week ago and they haven't done any work on the place since the last time I wrote about Ryan Braun's Tavern so I don't know. It's almost March and they never did open in "6-8 weeks" and they are getting real close to the "grand opening" they promised. On the bright side, they do have a facebook page! So maybe it is real because as we all know if it's on facebook, it's real. Like breakups. We'll see what happens, but if I had to put my money on it I'd say it never opens.
- Does anyone really believe Prince stays? He was born to be overpaid in a large market. Take solace in the fact that we got the best and the cheapest of him.
- Kevin Smith is sad. An entire podcast, hundreds of tweets and now YouTube videos dedicated to the fact that he was too fat to sit in his airplane seat. Coming from someone who has had to sit next to a fat person on a plane, IN THE MIDDLE NO LESS, they were right. (Yes I am going to finish that, lady sitting next to me!) I don't want to sit next to anyone who has broken a toilet in their past. So shut the hell up already.
- I am pretty sure once L O S T ends its run I will never watch it ever again. I can't wait.
- If anyone is interested in starting a Fight Club in Milwaukee please send an email. Serious inquiries only.
- Macha is already thinking of lineups and he has McGehee 2nd? What? I know lineups don't really matter, but I really don't like that. He did a good job in the 5-hole and deserves to stay there.
- Here's a list of excuses I found in this story about JJ Hardy.- Too afraid to ask for a day off and Macha wouldn't give him one.
- The day sped up on him and felt like they were going 100 miles an hour. (umm, what?!)
- His brother Jeff hogged the spotlight.
- It was Escobar's turn and they wanted that.
- He had a bad attitude.
(Okay, I made one of those up.)
- What would my at-bat music be? Well, I'm glad you asked.
- I would also consider using the Violent Femmes just to pop the home crowd. Not "Blister in the Sun", something like "Kiss Off", "American Music" or even "Out the Window". That'd be hot with the state fair crowd.
Okay, that's enough of that.
Tags: best sport, brad nelson, braun, brewers, Corey Hart, couple games, dvr, exhibition games, first baseman, first spring, Miller Park, minor leagues, old fashion, Opening Day, ops, pitchers and catchers, random things, spring training, training game, worst time