What a day yesterday. First game of the season starts at three and then my power goes out til 11. You can imagine how that turned out and why I am writing the first post of the day at 11:30 in the morning. I mean, I had to go somewhere.
ANYWAYS, We finally had real baseball that we care about yesterday and it resulted in a loss. Big deal. While Tom H is basically calling for a firesale, but I see many reasons to be happy.
- In the spirit of being right in small sample sizes, Rickie Weeks had a great game. As did Prince, Braun and Cameron. That's nice to see.
- I don't think I am crazy when I say one of the keys to the Brewers repeating this year is to NOT be last in OBP again. Seven walks and only 3 IP for a pitcher like Tim Lincecum is a good sign.
- Corey Hart hasn't learned a thing.
- How lame were those pregame introductions by Ken Macha? "Starting in right field, he's got a hell of a swing and is gonna hit a lot of homers this year, Corey Hart." I would enjoy this more if he did it today and was all bitter about yesterday's loss. "Batting second and starting in right field, Mr. I Swing At Everything." "And the starting pitcher the guy I probably should have started yesterday because Suppan is terrible, Yovanni Gallardo."
- Speaking of Suppan, I hate to pile on the guy. He is what he is. An "innings eater" which basically means a guy who can throw strikes, but isn't really fooling anyone because they can hit what he's throwing.
- Counsell put a ball in the water, who knew?
Baseball April 7th, 2009
In case you haven't noticed it is officially prediction season. That special time of year where everyone decides that they "know" who is going to win each division, every playoff series and award despite really not knowing anything at all. Some people do this with computer projections and other people just kind of throw stuff out there. I'll leave you to figure out what side I am on.
|National League||American League|
|East||Atlanta Braves||East||Boston Red Sox|
|Central||Chicago Cubs||Central||Cleveland Indians|
|West||Los Angeles Dodgers||West||Seattle Mariners|
|Wild Card||Milwaukee Brewers||Wildcard||Tampa Bay Rays|
|NLDS||Braves over Cubs (3-0)||ALDS||Red Sox over Mariners (3-1)|
|NLDS||Brewers over Dodgers (3-2)||ALDS||Indians over Rays (3-2)|
|NLCS||Brewers over Braves (4-2)||ALCS||Red Sox over Indians (4-2)|
|World Series||Red Sox over Brewers (4-3)|
|NL MVP||Ryan Braun||AL MVP||Grady Sizemore|
|NL Cy Young||Johan Santana||AL Cy Young||Roy Halladay|
|NL Manager||Bobby Cox||AL Manager||Don Wakamatsu|
|NL RoY||Cameron Maybin||AL RoY||Elvis Andrus|
Hey, at least I'm not one of these dumbasses picking the Mets.
“I was surprised. I thought I was getting ready for the season. I never thought that I wasn’t going to be playing with the Detroit Tigers this year. It’s probably a blessing.”
1. an assertion that something said, believed, alleged, etc., is false: Despite his denials, we knew his career was over.
2. refusal to believe a doctrine, theory, or the like.
3. disbelief in the existence or reality of a thing.
4. an unconscious defense mechanism used to reduce anxiety by denying thoughts, feelings, or facts that are consciously intolerable.