In a desperate attempt to stay relevant Sports Illustrated polled 215 MLB players asking them who the "meanest player in baseball" was. I'm unsure of what Sports Illustrated used to define mean, but based on the top 10 it's probably just a poll of "who do you think is an asshole?" Here is that top 10:
- AJ Pierzynski (natch)
- Chase Utley (Really? But he's so cute)
- Milton Bradley
- Carlos Zambrano (Seriously, how big of an upset is Big Z and Bradley going behind Utley? That dude must eat babies.)
- Vicente Padilla (Who?)
- Alex Rodriguez (received 24 votes, all from the Yankees)
- Chris Carpenter
- Albert Pujols (Two Cardinals? I'm shocked. Shocked, I tell you.)
- Nyjer Morgan
- Kevin Youkilis (Once again, the Yankees outdo the Red Sox.)
And #13.... Prince Fielder.
Two Brewers in the top 15. Does this mean that we have arrived? I mean, there are also two Yankees, two Red Sox and two Cardinals in the top 15 as well and the only true test of success is how many people hate you. You never hear anyone saying "I hate the Astros" because nobody gives a crap about the Astros. They're just there and then they trade some players to the Phillies and then they're still just there. That's their role. We can't hate them because they don't do anything for us. The Brewers existed in a similar bubble throughout the 90's and maybe, just maybe they have finally broken out of that bubble and other teams are starting to hate us because of how good we are.
Or maybe Prince and Nyjer are just a couple of assholes. Continue reading